Posted to alt.home.repair
Ook Ook is offline

Default Set fence post in concrete, dirt, or gravel?

wrote in message
ups.com...

Ook wrote:
Concrete is obviousl a major PITA to replace, but how long do they last
today? In 1966 they used better preservative, and posts would last 50
years.
What can I do to my posts today to get at least a couple of decades out
of
it?

I don't know how long modern wood posts would last. But it's gotta be
easier and cheaper to put screws/nails into wood than, say, a cast iron
pipe. And it's easier than putting a stainless steel achor bolt
into the top of a cast iron pipe filled with concrete onto which you
could hang your fence wood.

But if you go that way, let us know how it works out. It might look
cool.

I was at the Oregon State Fair yesterday, and one vendor had a system where
you pour your concrete plug into the ground and have a square concrete post
coming up a few inches out of the ground. Fence post gets bolted to that.
Fence post never touches the ground. If fence post rots away, you unbolt it
and bolt a new one in it's place. I'd be interested in doing this if I could
find instructions and parts.