Posted to alt.home.repair
Ook Ook is offline

Default Set fence post in concrete, dirt, or gravel?

Concrete is obviousl a major PITA to replace, but how long do they last
today? In 1966 they used better preservative, and posts would last 50 years.
What can I do to my posts today to get at least a couple of decades out of
it?

"Inquiringmind" wrote in message
ups.com...
Just had to replace a lamp post that broke from wind shear. I think it
was original to the house, 1966. Had to hire someone to replace it for
a cost of about $500 because it had to be dug out of the huge concrete
chunk it was sitting in, and said chunk had to be broken into removal
bits. A real pain. On the other hand, apparently it had lasted forty
years. I had the new one set in concrete (with a piece of PVC pipe to
protect the electric line so that we didn't have to worry about cutting
the power line if we had to break into the concrete again, ever).