Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Running 120v small power tool on UK 230v power (with pics)

In article ,
Carl Farrington
wrote:
Could anybody please advice on the best course of action for using this
power tool in the UK?
It's a small Dual-Action orbital buffer, rated at 120V AC, 3.7 Amps.

There are many users of this exact unit over here in the UK, and what
they do is to cut off the US plug, fit an industrial plug and buy a big
yellow 110v 750va site transformer.

Yes - they're actually better value than domestic units if you compare
these prices at the sort of current you require.

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...ers/index.html

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...mer/index.html

I was hoping there would be an easier way, but I suspect not, since the
power goes straight to the stator (?) on the motor. I guess in order to
convert the unit, one would have to re-wind the motor (which I will not
be doing!)

I take it there isn't a 230 volt version? A new motor supplied as a spare
would probably be cheaper than re-winding. It's possible the motor is used
in other equipment too.

What about these small solid state voltage convertors? I seem to
remember reading that they don't alter the frequency of the AC. I
wonder the same about the 110v yellow-box site transformers - are all
these other users running their units at 50Hz instead of the expected
60Hz?

They are just simple transformers so don't alter the frequency, which
would be an expensive option. Site transformers in the UK are used for
safety - not to save money by importing better value tools. ;-)

But most hand power tools won't be too concerned about the frequency.

--
*The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.