Posted to sci.electronics.repair
davidlaska davidlaska is offline

Default Is a newer car radio to integrated to be pulled for another?

3T39 wrote:
Hello, davidlaska!
You wrote on 1 Sep 2006 13:00:29 -0700:

d The bottom line is , It can be done. The extra wires can be dealt
d with as I listen to music with it. But what is the code deal again, is
d it some disabling thing rendering it useless in another car? Is it a
d push once and reset or some complicated factory rom flash reset or
d worse?

Yes the coded radios use an eeprom to store a code number which has to be
re-entered after power is removed . they are supposed to discourage theft
but only ever caused legitimate users grief when they simply forgot the
code after a few years. Ford radios were the worst for this, but other
makers embraced the technology for a while, I don't know how common they are
nowadays. Of course, thieves never worried about it, as the right equipment
can erase and re-code the eeprom and they always know a scally who can get
it done cheap. And incidentaly this is the 'always on' power wire that
another poster mentioned.

With best regards, 3T39. E-mail:

Could I further assume that removing the battery from the car would
trigger the code, I have removed the battery to exchange it and did not
have to enter a code. I hope this is it.