Posted to sci.electronics.repair
James Sweet James Sweet is offline

Default Running 120v small power tool on UK 230v power (with pics)

Carl Farrington wrote:
Pictures he http://www2.css-networks.com/portercable/index.html

Could anybody please advice on the best course of action for using this
power tool in the UK?
It's a small Dual-Action orbital buffer, rated at 120V AC, 3.7 Amps.

There are many users of this exact unit over here in the UK, and what they
do is to cut off the US plug, fit an industrial plug and buy a big yellow
110v 750va site transformer.

I was hoping there would be an easier way, but I suspect not, since the
power goes straight to the stator (?) on the motor. I guess in order to
convert the unit, one would have to re-wind the motor (which I will not be
doing!)

What about these small solid state voltage convertors? I seem to remember
reading that they don't alter the frequency of the AC. I wonder the same
about the 110v yellow-box site transformers - are all these other users
running their units at 50Hz instead of the expected 60Hz?

thanks,
Carl

Pick up one of those yellow box transformers, from what I hear they're
not terribly expensive. Another option would be to use a solid state
travel converter, they consist essentially of a triac light dimmer set
to a fixed output.

Power tools in general use series wound universal motors, the frequency
doesn't really matter, in fact they will even run on DC.