Posted to alt.home.repair
SJF SJF is offline

Default Concrete mix help

"SJF" wrote in message
news:fOYJg.38884$ok5.24245@dukeread01...

"Xeno Chauvin" wrote in message

m...
Last time I used concrete I used a "pre-mix".
Dug hole, poured half bag in hole added water, mixed
stuck in pole. That was 8 years ago fence still there.
Xeno

That is a good system. For fence posts, the probably weaker concrete will
be plenty strong.

Also, I suggest you dig the holes slightly deep and put a little gravel in
the bottom. Then insert the post and add the concrete while plumbing the
post. The idea here is that water that seeps down between the post and
the concrete should drain out -- not be trapped at the bottom of the post.
Such trapped water hastens decay of the post.

SJF

Slight correction.

"That is a good system" -- But the post goes in the hole first ( after the
gravel) then the ready mix, then the water.