Posted to alt.home.repair
Toller Toller is offline

Default Removing rebar from the ground?

"Ivan Vegvary" wrote in message
news:jSOJg.39482$NF3.27080@trnddc05...

"Toller" wrote in message
I have to replace some low retaining walls. The wood is easy because its
all rotted away, but I can't get the rebar that held them out. The ground
is shale, and doesn't want to give them up.

Any magical solutions? I thought of an auto jack, but don't see how to
grip the bars.
Driving them in rather than reusing them is a solution, but driving them
a foot into shale is a real chore!

Ahh, this one is easy. I do this all the time.
Simply take a long pipe wrench, attach about shin high to save your back.
Lift (pull up) on the end of the handle as you make one turn around with
the wrench. They simply pull out. I've pulled 5/8" bar, imbedded over 10
years, 6 feet into the earth with not even a strain. YOU DON'T NEED A
JACK!!! Giving it a turn is the answer, and, of course having a good
grip makes it easy. It should come up almost 6 inches to a foot per turn
even in the toughest of clays.

Ivan Vegvary

If you are right, then bless you!