Posted to alt.home.repair
SJF SJF is offline

Default Water softner questions

"Utah Utes" wrote in message
oups.com...
I recently purchased a water softner from a local company. I have the
Clack WS-1 valve and have been reading over the manual to ensure I have
all the correct settings. I am concerned that some of the settings are
wrong.

Is there away to verify the grain capacity? Currently it is set at
48,000, but from my conversations with the company I think it is actual
more then that. Also it is set to used 29 lbs of salt per regeneration
(seems high). How do I calculated how much it should use? Do I want
Normal or Longer backwash? Downflow or Upflow regeneration?

As of a month ago my water hardness was 27 and it is coming off of city
water.

Any help would be appreciated.

From the information you have given, without being sure, I'll make a guess.

You have a unit with 2 cubic feet of resin which would be rated at 64000
grains total capacity. A full recharge would require 29 pounds of salt. It
is common practice to limit the recharge for that size unit to about 16
pounds which reduces the effective capacity before recharge to 48000 grains
total hardness. This will reduce the time between recharges by 25 percent
but will reduce the annual usage of salt about 30 percent because of
increased efficiency.

Since you have 27 grains of hardness in your water, you would then be able
to process 1778 gallons of water between recharges (48000 divided by 27).
But recharge should be set to occur at a lower gallonage, say 1400 to 1500
to allow for variables and the time lag from the countdown to zero gallons
and the later recharge time -- usually 2:00 a.m.

If this is a correct interpretation of your setup, the installer has done a
very good job.

SJF