Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Aluminum Wireing

On 30 Aug 2006 08:41:06 -0700, "RayV" wrote:

Born2 wrote:
I have a house with Aluminum wiring throughout. My electrician replace all
plugs and switches with new ones.

It's not that they need be new. It's that they need be certified for
aluminum wiring. Are they? Do you have any of the boxes they came
in? If not, you can remove one and look what is embossed on the
plastic. Be sure to reinstall it the way one is supposed to. (I think
that means tightly but I'm not sure. )

Tightened up the electrical box. My

Don't konw what that means.

More below

electrician said it will need to be tightened in anther 30yrs because of how
soft the aluminum wire is, which is fine for me.

A few people (Home Inspector / Another electrician) told me I should replace
it with copper because of a fire hazard.

I'm going with my friend electrician who says its fine for another 30yrs.

Thoughts?

Trade houses with your 'friend' and let him and his kids sleep in the
house with the aluminum wiring.

My house has the supposedly safe copper-clad aluminum wiring and I will

Don't confuse copper-clad aluminum with aluminum. AIUI the first has
no problems.

be replacing all of it this fall. I'm not a fear-mongoring wacko that
doesn't have granite counters because of radon but there is a reason
why animals run from fire.