Posted to rec.woodworking
The3rd Earl Of Derby The3rd Earl Of Derby is offline

Default Putting a "cove" in the bottom of my chisels. How?

wrote:
Tim W wrote:

I don't know anything about Japanese tools, but i can't see the
point of this.

Less material to remove when you hone them, I figure.

The blades are hollow-ground to make sharpening easier. An often-asked
question is what to do when the blade is ground down so far that the hollow
reaches the cutting edge. This is actually not a problem - regular
sharpening and honing of the face moves the hollow back so that a straight
edge is automatically maintained. In fact, overenthusiastic sharpening or
grinding of the face by some users enlarges the flat between the edge and
the hollow-ground part of the chisel.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite