Posted to rec.woodworking
Roger Shoaf Roger Shoaf is offline

Default Putting a "cove" in the bottom of my chisels. How?

wrote in message
oups.com...
Alternatively, does anybody have any tricks for automating the laping
process? I've lapped a few of my chisels but, with the larger ones like
the 1.25"... that's a lot of material to remove.

First off unless you have been using a wood chisel as a nail cutter or a
stone chipper then lapping should be relativly easy, and if the chisel has
been abused, dressing it with a grinder or a belt sander is the quick way to
get close enough.

Once the angle has been established it is really no big deal to bring out a
razor sharp edge. I like the diamond stones they have out now, they cut
real fast.

They do make a chisel sharpening guide, but I have never found a need for
it.

Once I get the edge sharp enough to shave hairs off my arm, I will take it
to the buffer and polish it. I am not sure that it makes it cut any better
but it sure looks nice.

--

__
Roger Shoaf

Important factors in selecting a mate:
1] Depth of gene pool
2] Position on the food chain.

It sure would be nice
if there was some contraption that I could clamp my chisel and stone to
and it would just grind them against each other for an hour while I
went to get a sandwich. Anybody seen something like this, or shall I
design one myself?

- Joe