Posted to alt.home.repair
Howard Howard is offline

Default Load bearing wall vs. shelves

Might want to check with the local code people. Removing the drywall
will decrease the fire resistance of the wall. Its a load bearing wall
so there may be additional requirements. Adding a header as suggested
above and covering it with drywall would handle the fire code issues
and give you much more flexibility with the cabinets and shelves.

RicodJour wrote:
avid_hiker wrote:
Here is a more detailed description of what I plan / or similar plan to
do:

I plan to take the drywall out on both sides of wall ( maybe 4-5 stud
lengths, therefore adding more light to both sides in the kitchen and
livingroom. I will keep the existing studs in place, build a support
latterally in between studs ( fixed, not floating ), and boxed shelving
in betwwen all, then dress it up on the outside of course with edging.
This shelving will basically be used for DVD's and books storage, maybe
candles on display.. No heavy articles.

On the kitchen side, next to the shelving that was hereby made, I was
going to take out some drywall leaving the livingroom side drywall
intact, maybe 2-3 stud lengths, and create more storage for canned
items. I was planning to add seperate cubbard doors to all levels made.

Replace the drywall with finished plywood where you'll need backs for
the shelving. That'll address any strength concerns.

My first choice would be to cut out those studs, install a header and
build plywood cabinets that wouldn't have the studs taking up space and
forcing the design. It would probably be only a little more work and
the cabinets/shelves would be easier to deal with.