Posted to alt.home.repair
avid_hiker avid_hiker is offline

Default Load bearing wall vs. shelves

Here is a more detailed description of what I plan / or similar plan to
do:

I plan to take the drywall out on both sides of wall ( maybe 4-5 stud
lengths, therefore adding more light to both sides in the kitchen and
livingroom. I will keep the existing studs in place, build a support
latterally in between studs ( fixed, not floating ), and boxed shelving
in betwwen all, then dress it up on the outside of course with edging.
This shelving will basically be used for DVD's and books storage, maybe
candles on display.. No heavy articles.

On the kitchen side, next to the shelving that was hereby made, I was
going to take out some drywall leaving the livingroom side drywall
intact, maybe 2-3 stud lengths, and create more storage for canned
items. I was planning to add seperate cubbard doors to all levels made.

Thanks again,

Dean