Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Stuck Delta Faucet Handle

On Wed, 30 Aug 2006 16:58:25 -1000, "John Keiser"
wrote:

The single lever Delta kitchen faucet [model 21460 - made in Denmark] has an
occassional dribble from the top. Minor, but I wanted to remove the handle
to tighten or replace the fittings.
The set screw will not move with an allen wrench and all the force I can
exert with pliers as leverage. Even a rachet with an allen fitting fails.
Short of drilling the screw out and buying a new handle, any ideas?
Thank you.

You don't have to remove the handle to work on the faucet, if you can
reomve the big ring nut right under the handle. Which is the next
step after removing the handle anyhow.

A rubber self-tightening strap wrench would be good for removing the
big round nut. Wouldn't scratch, and they've been selling those
things even at dollar stores in the last 3 or 4 years. Otherwise
water pump pliers and something inside the jaws to protect the chrome.

And yes, sometimes the "seat" will stick on something and cause the
handle to not move. The problem then is either the seat (replace both
seats and springs) or the ball. If the ball needs replacing, then and
only then you have to remove the handle, but at least you won't be
bending over the sink. Try liquid wrench I suppose. They suggest
tapping or hitting the item so that it vibrates and the liquid wrench
works its way inside. Heating is good if it doesn't hurt the chrome
- about that I don't know.