Posted to uk.d-i-y
Alistair McDonald Alistair McDonald is offline

Default Gluing solid oak floor onto concrete

Hello all,

I've laid a few "click" laminate and engineered floors in my time, but
I've got a couple of rooms which I've bought solid oak floor for. The
recommended way is to glue them down.

Does anyone have any idea how much longer it will take to do a room in
this way?

Also, is there a better way of laying it than gluing? I guess i'll lose
my "warranty" (like I'll ever claim) if I don;t follow their
recommendations

I've also got a marble fireplace to go round, and I don't want to use a
quadrant to cover an expansion gap - any ideas/assessment of the risks of
bowing?

Tools-wise, I've got several strap/clamp things (bought for this job) and
an adequate saw that'll deal with the 60mm lengths in no time, squarely
and cleanly. The skirting boards are coming off, too.

Cheers,

Alistair

PS: my life is in flux, one of my kids is in hospital, so I may not reply
immediately. Please blame absent-mindedness, not rudeness if I don't
follow the thread as quickly as I should. I hope I can reply to all.