Posted to uk.d-i-y
geoffr geoffr is offline

Default halogen light and lighting circuit

wrote:
geoffr wrote:

I would like to connect a halogen up lighter with a dimmer control to a
lighting circuit. However, the up lighter has a 500W bulb (yes I know
this is expensive to run!) and I am concerned about the load on the
lighting circuit.

The rating info on the dimmer switch has two sets of figures with one
set, I assume, referring to the min and max wattage of the bulb stated
as 60-500W. The other set refers to 60-300W which I assume refers to
the rating of the dimmer control itself.

If this is right this would explain why the light came with a 5A fused
plug, because if the load of the whole light fitting was based just on
the bulb rating then the max load would be 2.1A (500/240) and surely a
3A fuse would have been sufficient.

However, if the dimmer switch is rated at 300W then the max load of the
light would increase to 800W (3.3A).

The lighting circuit currently has a max load of 400W (1.6A) and
therefore installing the light still leave a total max load of under
5A. As this is protected by a 6A circuit breaker would this be OK.

If this is OK is there any problem with the light not having the
protection of its own separate 5A fuse as I would cut off the plug and
wire is directly into the circuit.

The switch for the light would be a standard wall switch and am I
also correct in thinking that these switches are rated at 5A.

Any comment gratefully received.

500w of halogen will be way too bright for any normal residence.
Probably about right if you live in a castle.

Dimming it will reduce light output but not reduce power consumptoin
much, and is simply not a smart move. Power consumptoin will be truly
excessive.

Halogen uplighters are a fire risk, the bulbs run way hotter than any
other type of domestic lightbulb, and theyre pointing upwards... not a
good idea.

In short I'd drop the idea and think again. What size room are you
trying to light? What ceiling height, single or double storey height?
Why a freestanding uplighter, and why halogen?

The house is Victorian and the ceilings are 12' high so there is in
excess of 6' clearance. I have used it in rooms with lower ceilings and
it seemed OK or at least it didn't leave black scorch marks!

Its being used as its simply what I have available, although even if I
was starting from scratch I would choose this type of light as it
appears that the only downside is the electricity consumption. The
quality of halogen light seems to me to be superior to any other as it
does give a very good quality of light in high-ceilinged rooms. Having
said that I am not too keen on the 50W halogen spot lights as they give
too narrow a beam.

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

500W halogen is probably a K9 lamp. These are available in
300W and (harder to find) 200W. They are also available in
energy saving versions at 375W and 225W, with same light
output as 500W and 300W respectively (internal infra-red
reflective coating reflects the infra-red back onto the
filament). So pick one of the lower powered versions so
you don't need to use a dimmer.

I'm interested in these energy saving versions. I assume they are
available from B&Q etc?

Thanks for all the comments.