Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Bill Grumbine Bill Grumbine is offline

Default New DVD - Beyond the Basic Bowl - Shameless Ad

Hi Bob

That would be Randy from Vega, and yes, I used one of their bowl lathes for
the second video. One of the biggest reasons I wanted to use a different
lathe was all the people who wrote me asking me where they could get a
Poolewood just like mine. I would have loved to be able to send them
somewhere, but Poolewood was dropping the model because of trouble with
their manufacturer. I still have it and love it, and use it frequently, but
now it is a collector's item.

In the second video I wanted to use a current production lathe. I also
needed another machine for the shop to accomodate students. I can take
three now, and that is going to be my max for a very long time. I looked at
a bunch of lathes based on size and price, and ended up with the Vega, being
that it is very compact, very powerful, and capable of turning bowls up to
26" in diameter. It is a dedicated bowl machine, although you can turn
short spindles up to 17" long on it. So I bought one from Vega - and I
would like to make that clear for anyone else reading this, I bought it from
them. No one gave me a lathe.

But, it is a great machine, and is very nice for turning bowls and hollow
forms. I have some articles I wrote on it that were posted on different
woodturning forums, but I need to get them on my website as well. But if
you want to see it in action, there is a way. ;-) Besides the DVD, a
number of people have used the machine as students, or just come on by to
spin a piece of wood and give it a try before buying.

--
Bill

Bill Grumbine

www.wonderfulwood.com

"Bob S" wrote in message
ups.com...
Bill,

I enjoyed your first video. Randy, from one of the manufacturers at
IWF, mentioned that your new video featured a different lathe than your
first video. Can you elaborate?

Thanks,
Bob Stroman