Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart Stuart is offline

Default Sash window won't stay up

On Thu, 31 Aug 2006 13:58:43 GMT, "Sylvain VAN DER WALDE"
wrote:

Hello all.

When I raise that window, it won't stay up (no big deal), so I use a block
of wood. I think that I can assume (correctly) that the weight of that "bit
of metal" at the end of the cord is too low.
Now, I'm fairly sure that I saw a website some time ago which supplied some
"slide on" additional weights. I believe that they were circular metal discs
with a slot (the slot ending at the centre of the disk).
Am I imagining this? Can anyone come up with a supplier, or with some decent
alternative solution.

Thanks in advance.

Sylvain.

That "bit of metal" as you describe it is a sash weight ..usually cast iron with
a loop at the top to take the sash cord. I'm trying to figure out why the
window won't stay up as it won't have got heavier and the sash weight won't have
got lighter ....It might be an idea to have a look in the sash box ( by removing
a panel in the runner ) and check the condidtion of the rope anyway ( remember
to support the window if you are removing the weight or lifting it up )
otherwise you might get a sore head or worse . It could be that one of the
weights ( there is one per side ) has become detached and causing your problem .
You can still get weights,pulleys etc and cord is easy enough to get . . I
haven't however seen what you are looking for but look through these links and
see
http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Sash+Weights&hl=en&lr=&cr=countryUK|count ryGB&newwindow=1&start=0&sa=N