Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Bemier Joe Bemier is offline

Default 12" Sliding CMS recommendations

On 28 Aug 2006 07:20:24 -0700, "Mike" wrote:

Hi all, I am considering selling off my Craftsman 10" RAS in favor of a
12" sliding CMS.

The reasons for this a

1. The RAS can be tough to set to a precise angle other than the preset
stops at 90 and 45

2. RAS likes to bite into wood and jump out at me - especially when
making mitres/angled cuts on thicker stock.

3. I'd like to build a workstation for a CMS that includes large tables
on each side - something like what is featured in the current issue of
Workbench, or just about any other mag on a regular basis.

Any recommendations on a new CMS?

Anyone in the Pittsburgh area interested in a RAS?

Thanks in advance.

Mike

I too started out on a RAS and certainly understand each point you
make.
I currently use a RIDGID 12" CMS. It has gone 2 years and I'll be
replacing it soon with either RIDGID top of the line or the Makita 12"
SCMS