Posted to alt.home.repair
komobu komobu is offline

Default Aluminum Wireing

Hi;

I had aluminum wiring in my house that was built in 1971. I bought the
house in '88' so it was 17 years old at the time. I went to install a
ceiling fan and noticed that the wire ends were very brittle and they
broke off in my hand. I really had some concerns but didn't act on
them. In 1994, I decided to replace my deteriorated clapboard siding
with vynal. I tore off all the clapboard siding and while I was there,
I replaced all of the wire runs in the exterior walls with copper. This
was very easy since the studs were already exposed. By the time I
worked all the way around the house, all the aluminum wire runs were
replaced with copper. Then there were only about 5 or 6 interior wall
wire runs to do. I did one or two a weekend. It was a very easy job for
a do-it-yourselfer. I had the city inspector check it out and
everything was a first time pass. I am really glad I did it after
checking the conditions of most of the aluminum wires. They were in
really bad shape. I also replaced all of the electrical outlets and
switches at the same time. They were cheap and I had no issues with a
different outlet going out every 2 or three months or so. I completed
the whole project in 1994 and have never had a problem since. I would
strongly encourage you to consider replacing your aluminum with copper.
You should also make contact with your home owners insurance agent.
Copper wiring lowered my insurance rates.

Take Care
Pat