Posted to alt.home.repair
RLM RLM is offline

Default Rural mailbox question

On Thu, 31 Aug 2006 01:12:50 +0000, RLM wrote:

On Wed, 30 Aug 2006 17:43:26 +0000, Kurt Gavin wrote:

I'm talking about those standard roadside USPS boxes.

Mine's in front of the house and I'm wondering if there's a gadget that can
tell you by sight, or maybe electric trip switch, if there's something in
the box.

Thanks

COPY and PASTE to a text editor such as notepad so you can make
sense of the crude drawing.

Mailbox not to proportion.
___________
front k||\ /| rear
|| \ cord/ |\
|| \ / | \
||___\O/___| B fishing bobber

|| = door & front opening of mailbox
k = knot
O = 3/8" flat washer.
B = fishing bobber
Cord = string as found on blinds approx.1/8" dia.

Drill small hole in *door* near top to run cord through and tie knot.

Cord goes inside mailbox with a 3/8" *flat washer* tied in the
middle with a single overhand knot so washer position can be adjusted.

Drill small hole in back of mailbox and thread (pass) cord through and
connect fishing float (bobber) to end of cord so that when door is opened,
the bobber is pulled to top of the rear of the mailbox.

The 3/8" flat washer is enough weight to hold the bobber high on the
back of the box once the door has been opened and mail deposited.

Retrieve mail and pull bobber to the down position.

Debur and smooth hole in rear of mailbox so cord lasts longer.

I used one like this for years. Looked out the window to see if the bobber
was up. Saved walking 100' to the street to check if mailman had run.
I'm now overweight to prove it.

The holes drilled in the front door and the back of the mailbox should be
at approx. the same height from the bottom of the mailbox
(higher = better)
and positioned to the same side of the mailbox, so the cord and washer
stays to one side and out of the way.

Parts list:

3' or so of braided nylon cord approx. 1/16" to 1/8" in diameter.
3/8" flat washer.
Fishing float ( bobber) of bright color 1" or larger in diameter.

Tools required:

Drill motor
1/8" drill bit.
Small scrap of sandpaper to debur holes.