Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Help! Faulty apartment wiring.

On 30 Aug 2006 16:34:19 -0700, "SavageHenry"
wrote:

I suspect that not one, but two outlets in my apartment are ungrounded.
And I say that I suspect this because while they do have the typical
"3-hole" outlet, both have caused serious problems with the appliances
attached to them (I suspect that hole number 3 is not connected to
anything). One of them was a cheap microwave and many fireworks
resulted,

I don't see why the lack of a ground would cause problems with a
microwave. Maybe someone could tell me if and why I'm wrong.

Are you sure you didn't have something metal in the microwave? Even
metal decoration on a plate, or tin foil?

I don't think cheap microwave ovens are any different from more
expesnive ones, except possibly the expensive one is less likely to be
broken. My brother put the wrong metal shelf in one -- I guess
there's is some special alloy? -- and he blew a glass fuse in the
oven. My Amana model 2 didn't have a fuse. I don't know about
others.

but no big loss. Unfortunately the other was my friend's $300
PA amp which not only shocked the crap out of me,

This on the ohter hand does sound like it might be an ungrounded
outlet. That is, if there were a grounded outlet and it was a strong
shock representing 110 volts, it would have blown the fuse if the
outlet were grounded. Was there a 3-prong plug on the PA amp???

but seems to have
killed the amp as well. Before I take all of this up with my landlord,
I am hoping I can prove the wiring is faulty (possibly with a
multi-meter?). Can someone with some electrical experience please offer
their suggestions? Thanks.