Posted to alt.home.repair
Eric Eric is offline

Default Aluminum Wireing

dpb wrote:

Born2 wrote:
I have a house with Aluminum wiring throughout. My electrician replace
all plugs and switches with new ones. Tightened up the electrical box. My
electrician said it will need to be tightened in anther 30yrs because of
how soft the aluminum wire is, which is fine for me.

A few people (Home Inspector / Another electrician) told me I should
replace it with copper because of a fire hazard.

I'm going with my friend electrician who says its fine for another 30yrs.

Thoughts?

My thought is I am _VERY_ uncomfortable w/ Al wiring--there's a reason
it has been essentially abandoned for all except large conductors.

That said, whether if I were in _your_ house I would replace all the
wiring depends on factors I can't tell remotely--primarily the current
condition and the conditions in the house itself. If there are no
signs of oxidation or over-heating at any locations at present, that
would mitigate the concern somewhat. If, otoh, even one or two of the
outlets and/or switches were replaced because of such conditions, I
would probably have done the replacement at the same time simply to
remove the potential down the road. Another one is related to the
climatic conditions--in a dry environment w/ no basement, I'd also be
concerned less. In a damp climate, otoh, I'd have much higher level of
concern.

The problem w/ the 30-yr scenario is it only takes one night while
asleep on any particular night to negate the whole thing. IMO, the
comfort of not having that one nagging area is fairly high on my list
of things I wouldn't like. While having Cu doesn't totally negate the
possibility of the same thing, history has shown a higher propensity
for problems w/ Al.

I don't know that I would do it the first week after getting a new
house, but it would certainly be on my list of "to-do" items and I
would also discount the value of the house in case of a purchase to
cover that expected expense in making any offer. I'd have to find the
house/property otherwise an overwhelming opportunity or of extreme
desirability to overcome the general aversion against Al wiring,
however, in the first place.

If i were looking at a house(to buy), and i discovered it had #12 or #14
branch circuits using AL wire then I'd politely decline to proceed with the
purchase and walk away from it. I've seen way to many AL wires with
corrosion and heated joints - i dont want anyting to do with it. I havnt
seen problems (only minor ones) with large AL service conductors but even
then, if i were doing a service for my own house? it would be copper - no
question about it.
Eric

Eric