Posted to rec.woodworking
Owen Lawrence Owen Lawrence is offline

Default 55 Gallon Drum Rotator Made of Wood

Rob Mills wrote:
Found the one I had seen before,

That's cool. When I have some time (which will be never if I keep spending
all my time in here) I think I'll make one. Prestone Hardware (Ottawa) used
to sell olive barrels that would be perfect for this. Maybe they still do.

I personally would mount a pair of 6 inch or so wheels at each end of
based
spaced maybe 12 inches or so apart so the drum could rest on them. Most
hardware's have fairly inexpensive wheel in various sizes. RM~

I wouldn't. Keep it simple, like it is. I'm willing to bet this one works
very well.

I'd agree w/ you on that...this doesn't look like it would be very
sturdy at all from the description. A 1/2" rod for a 45/55 gal drum of
damp material isn't much and the frame isn't all that stout, either.

The material shouldn't be that damp, and unless you fill it in one shot
completely full of tomatoes or something, and if you follow the
instructions, it won't be. I'd say my existing composter has about the same
capacity as this one. It takes me most of the winter to fill it once, and
after spreading it in the garden in the spring, all summer including fall
cleanup to fill it again. I end up with half a dozen wheelbarrows of fine
compost, not that heavy at all.

What I would do, though, is add a couple of stops on each runner so the
whole thing couldn't roll off the end and drop to the ground.

- Owen -