Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Garage power supply - Recap [Longish]

Roger Mills wrote:

Not necessarily. I quoted MK because someone said you could buy their loose
bits, and do a mix & match. I'm sure you can do that with other makes.

If not, how about (For a TN supply):

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/CMM4N.html
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/CM7106B.html
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/CM92003SP.html

Your difficulty there is the price of RCBOs - one of them costs about
that!

Ouch - that's expensive. I wasn't sure whether you could use an RCBO with
that board - 'cos it isn't listed among the compatible MCBs.

The contactum ones are pretty tall[1], and ought to take the single
module RCBOs - but obviously TLC would be able to confirm if you askem
them (with a four way board you could afford the extra width of the
normal RCBOs).

[1] Here is one I dismantled befo

http://www.internode.co.uk/temp/contactum.jpg

Cheapest (but not smallest) option may be:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products...0slash80N.html
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/CM7106B.html
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/CM7120B.html

Although that still tops 」50

According to my calculations, it's about 」48 - including VAT and a load of

Oh, bargain!

blanking bits. It would probably do - but it does seem a bit of an overkill
to have a bigger CU in the garage than in the house!

OK just thought of a cheaper scabbier solution[2]:

Two of: http://www.internode.co.uk/temp/contactum.jpg
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/HGMT106.html
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/HGMT120.html
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/HGCD263U.html

Plus a plain incomer switch (which I am sure they must sell on its own,
but can't seem to construct the right search phrase to find it!)

Take your submain into one encosure and then to the second. Fit an
incomer switch and 6A MCB for the lights on one, and a 30mA trip RCD and
20A MCB for power on the other.

[2] Although to be totally correct you opught to use metal clad CUs for
a TN supply)

Just to stick another spanner in the works . . I was told today by one
supplier that a detached garage is considered to be 'outside', and that
everything in it has to be protected by an RCD - hence the design od the
standard garage CU. Is there any truth in this? If so, the above solutions
wouldn't comply anyway - so I'm back to losing the lights when I saw through
my power cable?!

Depends on your garrage I guess. If it has a bare soil floor, then to
all intents it is outside - you would be hard pushed to extend an
equipotential zone into it. A nice concrete floored building on the
other hand is probably as "inside" as your front room!

--
Cheers,

John.