Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Lloyd Mark Lloyd is offline

Default Rural mailbox question

On Wed, 30 Aug 2006 18:46:06 GMT, "Tom G"
wrote:

"nhurst" wrote in message
roups.com...
The older couple across the street from my house just flip their flag
up when they get their mail. They know when the mailman has come by
when they look out and the flag is down.

Kurt Gavin wrote:
I'm talking about those standard roadside USPS boxes.

Mine's in front of the house and I'm wondering if there's a gadget that
can
tell you by sight, or maybe electric trip switch, if there's something in
the box.

Thanks

I'll bet the mailman likes stopping to pick up mail that isn't there.

And mine often "forgets" to lower the flag.

The
red flag is for "flagging" him down to pick up mail. I think like another
poster said, that I've seen boxes advertised that have a red flag on one
side and yellow on the other side. The yellow automatically pops up when
the door has been opened. However, in this day and age, I'm not sure I
would want to advertise that I have mail waiting in my box. While living in
the Phoenix area, the post office advised that you not mail/receive any
thing with a check in the box in front of your house as thieves were
following mailmen around (especially around the first of the month) and
stealing mail in order to find checks they could alter to obtain the money
themselves. Would even use checks to order new checks to further empty a
persons bank account.
We have a rural mailbox but also rent a box at the post office and give that
address out to any place that might send us checks or things of a personal
matter such as medical records.

Tom G.

--
Mark Lloyd