Posted to alt.home.repair
Keith Williams Keith Williams is offline

Default Shelf life of plaster

In article ,
says...

snip

Thanks for the post. I cut open the bags last week and put the plasters
in plastic bags, fairly thick ones mostly. But I got the idea shortly
thereafter to use some plastic buckets I have. These aren't 5 gallon
buckets but food service buckets I got from a fast food place. They gave
them to me free. They had 10 lb. potato salad in them and I got them
with the tops. I have 13 of them now, and can get an unlimited supply in
the future for free (I made an arrangement with another source.

Nice. I buy them at the BORG. Free is better. ;-)

I presume they will be air tight, but I think your admonisions are
advisable - dessicant and testing. I would never have thought of the
dessicant, and I wouldn't have done the testing without your suggestion.
However, like you say, it's really important that I not invest time and
materials into repairs that turn out to be crap.

Not to mention the work to tear out crap.

Great ideas with the old pill bottles. I have a bunch of them, been
saving them for some good use, and this is sure one. Thanks again.

It is a good idea. I may have a little grout and thinset to do
this with.

PS: Anyone know where I can get calcium chloride in quantity
economically? Thanks!

The better sidewalk/driveway ice melter is calcium chloride (read
the container, NaCl isn't a desicant). You should be able to find
it for $12is for a 50lb bag at the BORG or a bit more at a hardware
store. It's also available (for a lot more $$) at grocery stores
in the winter (too soon now :-( ).

--
Keith