Posted to alt.home.repair
Dan_Musicant Dan_Musicant is offline

Default Shelf life of plaster

On Mon, 28 Aug 2006 21:53:19 -0500, Richard J Kinch
wrote:

an_Musicant writes:
:
: wonder if it will last longer if I
: store it in air-tight containers and store in a cool location.
:
:Plaster will strike in the bag due to infiltration of humidity. It will
:still be a powder that mixes up OK, but given enough storage time and
:humidity before use it will have a final strength of a Ritz cracker.
:
:I would think the cost of proper containers would approach the cost of the
laster.
:
:Most cost effective would be 5-gallon paint buckets with the O-ring lids,
:with a sock full of calcium chloride as a dessicant.
:
:Easy enough to do your own "lab" testing later to verify setting quality.
:Make some cylindrical samples (cast in a pill bottle) now and when you plan
:to use it. See if you find any difference in strength or setting time.
:Better than wasting a lot of labor on material that turns out to be flawed.
:
:Steady non-condensing relative humidity is more important than cool.
:Warmer may make your RH lower.

Thanks for the post. I cut open the bags last week and put the plasters
in plastic bags, fairly thick ones mostly. But I got the idea shortly
thereafter to use some plastic buckets I have. These aren't 5 gallon
buckets but food service buckets I got from a fast food place. They gave
them to me free. They had 10 lb. potato salad in them and I got them
with the tops. I have 13 of them now, and can get an unlimited supply in
the future for free (I made an arrangement with another source.

I presume they will be air tight, but I think your admonisions are
advisable - dessicant and testing. I would never have thought of the
dessicant, and I wouldn't have done the testing without your suggestion.
However, like you say, it's really important that I not invest time and
materials into repairs that turn out to be crap.

Great ideas with the old pill bottles. I have a bunch of them, been
saving them for some good use, and this is sure one. Thanks again.

Dan

PS: Anyone know where I can get calcium chloride in quantity
economically? Thanks!