Posted to alt.home.repair
Born2 Born2 is offline

Default Aluminum Wireing

Thanks.

That's the way I felt since the house is 30yrs old and my electrician
replaced ALL switches and plugs. I thought it
was the home inspector trying to drum up some business for HIS electrician
friend.
You basically said the same as my friend.

wrote in message
On Wed, 30 Aug 2006 10:48:37 -0500, Bud--
wrote:

The only fix recommended by the CPSC is using special COPALUM high
pressure crimp connections which can only be done by a trained
electrician using a special tool; quite expensive if you can even find
the electrician.

There is a new device that is as good or better than Copalum and does
not require special tools and training.
http://www.kinginnovation.com/products/alumiconn.html
Also bear in mind the inspect-ny site is a home inspector site with
the major intent of driving down the purchase price of homes.
Most of these scary stories are 20-30 years old. I think if your
aluminum wired home is not having problems it probably won't if you
don't screw with it. These problems were usually traced to bad
workmanship by the original installer or homeowner intervention. I
don't like aluminum on "binding screw" devices but I also think there
is a lot of hype in the legend. There is no problem at all in aluminum
in a "barrel and set screw" type lug. In fact most of the lugs are
aluminum alloys themselves. They actually test better with aluminum
wire than with copper.