Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair
Barry Lennox Barry Lennox is offline

Default soldering technique

On 30 Aug 2006 13:40:28 -0700, wrote:

Hi,

Quick newbie soldering question. I need to solder some wires to pins
on an SOIC package. I've never soldered something with this small of
pin spacing. Is there a trick for first tacking down the wire to the
pin before you solder so that it stays in place? Thanks for any tips

Kev

I used to do it all the time when SMD parts first came out. Invert
the chip and anchor it to a piece of blank PCB with a dob of hot-melt
glue. Then tin the wire and the SMD leg, touch the two together, then
reflow it with just a touch of the iron. Takes longer to write than
do!

Barry Lennox