Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair
3T39 3T39 is offline

Default soldering technique

Hello, Andrew!
You wrote on Wed, 30 Aug 2006 22:09:59 +0100:

AH wrote in message
AH ups.com...
?? Hi,
??
?? Quick newbie soldering question. I need to solder some wires to pins
?? on an SOIC package. I've never soldered something with this small of
?? pin spacing. Is there a trick for first tacking down the wire to the
?? pin before you solder so that it stays in place? Thanks for any tips
??
?? Kev

Clearly the wire needs to be a slightly smaller dia than the pins and
single core, I find it best to "tin" the wire and the pin first and then
holding the wire against the pin just a quick touch with the iron and they
are joined. Of course the mechanical strength of a solder join like this is
a bit questionable so it's advisable to tack the wires down to the board as
well, with silicone or hot melt.

With best regards, 3T39. E-mail: