Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Use car headlights for lighting field shelter?

xena wrote:

They're not as expensive as I was expecting actually - thanks for the links.
Are they about as big as you get though? I have some striplights in the
crumbly old caravan I use as a feed room and I've been less than impressed
with them, but they're probably as ancient as the caravan and I am running
them off a really knackered car battery, so maybe I will be pleasantly
suprised with some new lights and a tidy battery!

Light output depends on power of the fittings. 8w would give very dim
lighting. If you have one dim + one bright fitting you can switch
whichever one on you need. A handheld light on flex would be a way to
use low power yet give you a worklight for high local light
availability. 8w isnt a lot but you could see properly under that when
its close to what youre looking at.

That's the second vote for fuses then so I'd better take heed!

The current wouldn't be anywhere near 13A anyway would it? More like about
5A if running 4 x 2 x 8w (64W) - soz, maths letting me down atm.

64w total is 6.3A, so you'd want something above that fusewise. I'd use
2.5mm rather than 1.5 cable, because less voltage drop means more
lighjt out, plus you get a system you can add more stuff onto later
without needing to rewire. So if youve got a load of 2.5, might as well
use it.

NT