Posted to alt.home.repair
Keith Williams Keith Williams is offline

Default 14 Wire on 20amp Breaker...

In article ,
says...
Toller wrote:

Yes, it should have been picked up by a home inspection.

Ideally yes, but is it something that home inspectors actually look at?
When I bought my house the "inspector" missed #12 on a 30a breaker and
(drumroll) three #12 circuits on a 50a breaker. Obviously he didn't look
very hard; but do any of them, or did I just get a dud?

You got a dud.

The wire gauge / breaker mismatch is one of the first and easiest things
a home inspector should check.

Yep, and anything this bad should tip the inspector off to look
closer for more code violations. The inspector that the buyers of
my MIL's house hired found all sorts of screwy things. The outlets
in the garage were all reversed, the grounds and neutrals were tied
together in the subpanel in the garage, and the upstairs smoke
detector was put in with a running slices and taped up with
electrical tape. I'm surprised no one got hurt in the place!

--
Keith