Posted to alt.home.repair
Phisherman Phisherman is offline

Default Downsizing a hole in drywall

On Tue, 29 Aug 2006 22:36:27 GMT, wrote:

"Not@home" wrote in message
We have (had, I guess) a glass shelf in our bathroom, with glass holders
mounted to anchors in the drywall. One came loose, and eventually the
hole in the drywall became to large to set the anchor.

Because of the unique glass holders, I cannot use a larger anchor, nor
will toggles work with the screw I have to use. Relocating the hole would
be problematic. So now I want to patch the drywall and restore the
quarter inch hole.

My plan is to use mesh on the back of the drywall, fill the oversize hole
with plaster, then redrill. I've had good results using this technique
for patching, but I'm a bit concerned that the new hole I drill will be
almost as big as the oversized hole, and the anchor may not hold. Years
ago, I think I heard that wood glue can be mixed with plaster to form a
stronger surface, but my bottle of wood glue says nothing about this.

So my question is whether mixing wood glue with the plaster will give a
stronger repair and, if so, about what portion of wood glue to plaster is
appropriate.

I'm unhappy, because a few years ago we had two hardware stores near us,
either of which would have provided good advice, but Home Depot has driven
them out of business.

Since you are gonna be mudding and painting anyway- a 'forever' repair would
be to run a piece of wood between the studs, flushed into the drywall. Mud
it in, sand smooth, and paint to match. If the wood is screwed to the studs,
and the shelf brackets to the wood, the glass will break before the mount
points ever do. This isn't a new trick- this is the best way to hang
wall-mount sinks.

aem sends...

I agree with using a 2x4 between the studs. I installed tub/shower
safety grab bars and cut openings from the other side to install 2x4
wood brackets. From the bathroom I was able to drive screws into the
brackets. I'm confident the grab bars will hold 300+ lbs. When I
removed the piece of drywall I did so carefully using a utility knife
so I could use it to screw back in place. I cut the drywall edges
centered on the studs to make the drywall repair easy.