Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan Joseph Meehan is offline

Default Bypassing Electric Meter

Al Moran wrote:
On 29 Aug 2006 21:17:09 -0700, "komobu" wrote:

In Virginia, it is pretty easy. My house had aluminum wiring, and I
replaced the whole electrical system with copper. Anyways, there is a
security seal at the bottom of the meter box. When it is removed, a
cover hinges up and the Glass meter can be pulled straight out. Then
you will be looking at 4 prongs. The top two prongs go to the power
pole. The bottom two go to the hous circut breaker box. (I had to
replace this wire to the breaker box in my house). Anyways, you could
jump the prongs rather easily with copper wire. It would help if you
knew when the meter reader was coming around so you could place the
glass meter back in. If you took the time with the security seal, the
reader would probably never notice it....he just takes the numbers
down and move to the next house.

But what I don't get is that at least one set of the prongs must be
hot. How would they connect anything to it without getting zapped
?

Very carefully. Yea, I have done it, (with the electric company's
blessing) . I don't suggest anyone who has to ask how consider doing it as
missing one step could be your last one.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit