Posted to alt.home.repair
T Shadow T Shadow is offline

Default Small engine...starts with starter fluid, but won't keep running

"Steve Henderson" wrote in message
news

BTDT. Darin all the gas from the tank and fuel bowl. Put a few ounces
of carb cleaner in it. Remove the plug wire and give it a few pulls.
Let it sit for a few hours. Add fresh gas, reconnect plug wire and try
again. This should do it. If it doesn't you'll have to disassemble the
carb and detail clean it.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions. I'll try them, and let you know what
happens. I know this much... I WILL drain the gas out of all my small
engines this fall.

Steve

I've been using stabilizer for many years and don't have a problem storing
equipment over the winter. Stabilizers only good for a few months but cooler
temperatures of winter is the best time for this. I don't bother with the
lawn equipment but with the motorcycle I try to run at it least a couple of
times to get fresher gas into the carbs(4). It evaporates a lot quicker than
in the tank.

The heat of summer is going to be the hardest on the mix so problems will
occur sooner. Obviously for 2 years you should have emptied the carbs. Don't
just drain them though. Run them dry. You want the vacuum of the engine to
suck the gas out of the carbs jets and passages. That's where most of the
problems occur.