Posted to alt.home.repair
Joey Joey is offline

Default Small engine...starts with starter fluid, but won't keep running

Steve, I agree that the carb might be stopped up but there is one more
possibility if you find that's not the case. For gas to enter the carb
there has to be some type of pumping action. These small gas engines
use a rubber type diaphram in the carb to perform this action. If this
rubber piece gets stiff it will not pump gas. You are bypassing this by
spraying the starter fluid. This is a cheap part and certainally one to
check if you don't find a blockage.

Steve Henderson wrote:

BTDT. Darin all the gas from the tank and fuel bowl. Put a few ounces
of carb cleaner in it. Remove the plug wire and give it a few pulls.
Let it sit for a few hours. Add fresh gas, reconnect plug wire and try
again. This should do it. If it doesn't you'll have to disassemble the
carb and detail clean it.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions. I'll try them, and let you know what
happens. I know this much... I WILL drain the gas out of all my small
engines this fall.

Steve