Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob Bob is offline

Default Downsizing a hole in drywall

"Not@home" wrote in message
news:6x0Jg.3598$Zm1.1917@dukeread02...
We have (had, I guess) a glass shelf in our bathroom, with glass holders
mounted to anchors in the drywall. One came loose, and eventually the
hole in the drywall became to large to set the anchor.

Because of the unique glass holders, I cannot use a larger anchor, nor
will toggles work with the screw I have to use. Relocating the hole
would be problematic. So now I want to patch the drywall and restore
the quarter inch hole.

My plan is to use mesh on the back of the drywall, fill the oversize
hole with plaster, then redrill. I've had good results using this
technique for patching, but I'm a bit concerned that the new hole I
drill will be almost as big as the oversized hole, and the anchor may
not hold.

If you can get mesh in there, how about glueing a chunk of wood across
the back of the hole. Then you will have something to screw to.
Fixall might make a pretty strong patch. It's pretty hard stuff when cured.

Bob