Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default 14 Wire on 20amp Breaker...

On 29 Aug 2006 14:10:20 -0700, wrote:

Howdy all.
Upon inspecting the electrical system in my home I noticed a couple
circuits wired with 14 gauge wire being protected by a 20amp breaker.
To me this doesn't seem safe, so I plan on replacing the breakers.

My question: is there a reason the electricain would run wire this way?
The 14 wires go to outlets. My family wouldn't draw enough power from
these outlets to cause a concern,

You should get one of the new high amperage kits to update your wife
with.

Also, your children may get better grades and get into a better
college if you install one of the high amperage kits in each of them.

but who knows what the future owners
of the house would plug into these outlets. It seems to me that the
possibility of a fire exists with the 20amp breakers protecting a 14
gauge circuit. Am I wrong on this?

You're right.

Also, is this something a home
inspector should have caught?

AIUI, no. I hope you didnt' count on having 20 amps there. Seems
not.

We had the home inspected 5 years ago
before buying the house. The wiring is easily accessed via drop-down
ceiling panels in the basement.

-Felder