Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Canchippy Canchippy is offline

Default Ebonizing Rust Stain

Tom Storey wrote:
I have the recipe for making this stain but before I use it on one of my
turnings, or even a test piece, I'd like to know from those that have made
it up and used it how satisfied they were with the end product and finsh?
Does it actually darken walnut to a near ebony colour? and how drurable is
it? Does it blotch like some stains? I did a bit of a search but I didn't
get the questions answered.

Thanks!

--
Tom in Qualicum Beach, BC

Tom,
The sucess of the colour depends on how much tannin there is in the
wood. It will work on almost any wood if the wood is washed in tea
(black, no sugar) You will have to experiment on scrap to decide how
long and how much will give you the desired colour. It is NOT a finish
and so should be protected with an appropriate oil or water base finish
after it has dried. Personally I have used this a lot but never mixed
up a batch. I always just use steel wool to apply vingar straight onto
the wood. Used it mainly on oak and it goes to a solid blue/black.
Applied BLO as a finish as it is outdoors. BLO once a year keeps up the
protection and adds to the blackness.