Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Darrell Feltmate Darrell Feltmate is offline

Default Linden or basswood tree for bowls

Actually, Tom, whether the basswood is good for turning, depends on what you
need right now. If it is pracitce, free wood is always best. (Just as an
aside, when does one not need practice?) On the other hand basswood is bland
so why turn bland wood? Ah, but it is a carver's dream. Dry some for carving
or turn some to carve. A basswood bowl with hand carved sides is no longer
bland. It may be beautiful or it could be ugly, but not bland :-)
______
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate
Truro, NS, Canada
www.aroundthewoods.com
"Gerald Ross" wrote in message
Tom wrote:
Is this tree any good for turning bowls? My neighbor had a fairly large
tree come down during a storm and I was wondering if it was worth my

while
to cut up a couple of hunks. Thanks for your help.

Basswood is the perfect wood for carving. It has almost no grain and
carves easily. For a bowl, It would be a bland, white bowl with little
character. But almost any wood is good if it is free.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

A man's got to know his limitations.