Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default 14 Wire on 20amp Breaker...

wrote:

Howdy all.
Upon inspecting the electrical system in my home I noticed a couple
circuits wired with 14 gauge wire being protected by a 20amp breaker.
To me this doesn't seem safe, so I plan on replacing the breakers.

My question: is there a reason the electricain would run wire this way?
The 14 wires go to outlets. My family wouldn't draw enough power from
these outlets to cause a concern, but who knows what the future owners
of the house would plug into these outlets. It seems to me that the
possibility of a fire exists with the 20amp breakers protecting a 14
gauge circuit. Am I wrong on this? Also, is this something a home
inspector should have caught? We had the home inspected 5 years ago
before buying the house. The wiring is easily accessed via drop-down
ceiling panels in the basement.

-Felder

Yes, replace the breakers with 15A ones.

No, there isn't any reason an electrician would wire 14ga on a 20A
breaker.

Yes, it should have been picked up by a home inspection.

Pete C.