Posted to alt.home.repair
dadiOH dadiOH is offline

Default Downsizing a hole in drywall

Not@home wrote:
We have (had, I guess) a glass shelf in our bathroom, with glass
holders mounted to anchors in the drywall. One came loose, and
eventually the hole in the drywall became to large to set the
anchor.

Because of the unique glass holders, I cannot use a larger anchor,
nor will toggles work with the screw I have to use. Relocating the
hole would be problematic. So now I want to patch the drywall and
restore the quarter inch hole.

My plan is to use mesh on the back of the drywall, fill the oversize
hole with plaster, then redrill. I've had good results using this
technique for patching, but I'm a bit concerned that the new hole I
drill will be almost as big as the oversized hole, and the anchor
may not hold. Years ago, I think I heard that wood glue can be
mixed with plaster to form a stronger surface, but my bottle of
wood glue says nothing about this.

So my question is whether mixing wood glue with the plaster will
give a stronger repair and, if so, about what portion of wood glue
to plaster is appropriate.

I've never mixed wood glue *with* plaster but I *have* applied it to
plaster after it cured...let it soak in, wipe off excess. In your
case I'd squirt cyanoacrylate glue into the sides of the hole in the
new plaster. As absorbent as plaster is, the super glue will wick
through the new plaster into the old and make a hole solid as
Gibralter.

--

dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...