Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default A story about fans, oil, and glue!

On Tue, 29 Aug 2006 11:58:09 -0400, "Bob" wrote:

Yes its well worth the sense of accomplishment at the risk of burning down
the place mixing glues, oils and who knows what else instead of spending a
couple bucks for a new fan.

:-) For the record, I have lots of fans, including the new one they
bought me at work. None are small enough to fit on the window sill.
(a cheap modern one that has no overhang.) I could put a fan on the
table next to me, but that wouldn't blow the cool outside air in after
sundown and all night.

I could nail a little shelf to the window sill, but I sit with my head
up against the window sometimes, and I'm sure I would hit the fan,
etc. quite a few times, and it would be not satisfactory. I can't move
the fan to the left or right beyond the portion of the window that
opens. That's only one pane of three, about 2 feet out of 6.

On one other small fan, also from the 50's, I think, there is a hole
for hanging from the wall, and or I could drill a hole, and I could
nail that to the window sill with only 2 or 3 inches hanging over the
edge, but I wouldn't like the looks and I would still hit it.

This is the perfect sized fan. I think after it was oiled again, it
only overheated because the blade wasn't spinning fast enough to blow
air through the vents. I"m so glad it works again. Plus I did like
fixing it.

Christopher, I hope your arm heals. LOL

And I'm just like hallerb in the things he says below. I still have
my father's beautiful table fan, with the hope of fixing it someday.
From his dental office. He died in 1955 (finished dental school in
1915) and the fan might have been 10, 20, 30 years old then. Making
it 60, 70, maybe 80 years old. It has a beautiful 5-arm cast aluminum
blade where the trailing edges come together in an almost exaggerated
point at the center, patterned I think after propellers on the fastest
airplanes of the day. It has screw knobs at each side so it will
point forward and can be adjusted up and down a bit. I used the fan
for a couple years, and electrically it's fine, including its 3-speed-
and-off inline switch. But I can't get it to spin well.

Oil used to make it run fine, but after a while it didn't. So I took
it apart to clean it. It has the outer race of its front and rear
bearings as spheres, so that they will point in any direction. I
rotated one a little, and I keep thinking that I haven't gotten it
back to the right position yet, and that's why it won't spin well.
Even though I would think it is designed to be self-adjusting when the
fan case is screwed together. Not sure what to do.

Oh, and I just got a 1969 Honda CR450 motorcycle that wasn't ridden
since 1971 or '72, which I hope to get running this fall. Given to me
by the 2nd owner who is 69 now. For 3000 I could buy this same bike
beautifully restored, and I suppose for less I could get something
that runs fine now. But fixing it is more than half of the fun. (I'm
not going to restore this. Only get it running. It will be my first
and probably only motorcycle.)

wrote in message
oups.com...

Stormin Mormon wrote:
I have been chewing my arm off, to get away from the computer, but I
still have hold of the mouse. What makes you think I'm bored?

--

Christopher A. Young

hey I too fix stuff sometimes thats not worth the effort, perhaps
attached by nice memories, rebuilt my moms old gas grill for that
reason, or the challenge of making it work, occasionally i like the old
item so much i dont want to buy a new one.

all of these and more are just part of me, and likely others are the
same...