Posted to rec.woodworking
George Max George Max is offline

Default Which wood for dining table project?

On Mon, 28 Aug 2006 11:32:35 -0700, Dan wrote:

George Max wrote:
On Sat, 26 Aug 2006 02:33:24 -0000, Art Greenberg
wrote:

On Fri, 25 Aug 2006 17:42:39 -0700, Dan wrote:

I'm planning to make my 1st "real" woodworking project, a base for a glass
topped dining room table. The basic design will be a bit like this metal
one, only executed in wood: http://www.dwr.com/productdetail.cfm?id=0375
Top size will be 72" x 42" x .5".
Nice looking table.

Have you determined how much that glass will weigh? I'm a little worried about
the joint at the top of the legs.

I think I'd use a bridle joint there.

I'm not familiar with that, can you elaborate?

Dan

It's essentially an open mortise and tenon. The shoulders could be
arranged to make it look from the side like it was mitered together.
This joint is common in Arts and Crafts pieces. Take a look at some
Taunton publishing company books.

Next, the quickest way to get an idea of what a bridle joint is is
this:

With either hand, make a U. That is, hold up all 4 of your fingers
with your thumb opposing.

Then hold your other hand out straight. Take that hand and cradle it
in the U of your other hand.

That's a bridle joint.