Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Garden Hose End Re-thread Die

BobK207 wrote:
NSN wrote:
On Sun, 27 Aug 2006 22:05:48 -0500, Richard J Kinch

Garden hose threads are ANSI/ASME standard B1.20.7.

The designation is:

.75-11.5NH (cut, formed, or rolled), or
.75-11.5NHR (thin wall formed).

Pretty cool / useful tool at McMaster

Replaceable Die External Thread Restorer 2630A12
Tool comes with dies for thread sizes 4, 5, 6, 7, 7 1/2, 8, 9, 10, 11,
11 1/2, 12, 14, 16, 18, 20, and 24 threads per inch.
OD range is 1 1/4" to 5".

but even a tool junkie such as I wouldn't buy one but I could see the
need for such a tool where LOTS of hose were in use. One could chase /
clean up the ends faster & cheaper than replacing

It would require a heck of a garden hose w/ 1-1/4" OD minimum!!!

But even if it went to the 3/4" OD, garden hose ends are still thin
wall formed, not cut and not as deep as pipe thread. An NPT die of the
same diameter would cut through or nearly through the root diameter of
a formed NH thread.