Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bookworm Bookworm is offline

Default General advice sought on gravelling a garden

Phil Anthropist wrote:
wrote:
Hi list!

A couple of my neighbours have done this. One didn't use a plastic or
another membrane, and one used black butyl fish pond liner. Neither have any
weeds growing through. I have also seen it done with bark chippings instead
of gravel, which is much lighter to spread about. Again, no weeds have come
through. A lot of parks departments use bark chippings to avoid weeding in
flower beds.

For heavens sake dont use Bark Chippings. They are APITA. They attract
woodlice by the million. They rot down and need replacing. When the
wind blows the top ones dry off and blow everywhere.

Bark Chippings OK in local Parks and Gardens. **** bad news in front
gardens. I know from experience.