Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to read a/c charge - what are normal pressures ??

Cleaned both condensor and evaporator units. The breaker never
tripped again. It's been several weeks now.
CY: Might be time to just leave it, and keep using it. Could be about
as fixed as you'll get.

I'll check the motor draw. (just because it's a nice thing to do)
CY: Should be a name plate and the run amperage should be on the
plate.

Have you been adding Freon on a regular basis? A 20^ drop
between supply and return would be as good as you would ever do.
It will not be as much as the ambient goes up and can be as little
as 10 or 12. If the large diameter line entering your outdoor
unit is sweating or very cold, you are probably fine. The small
diameter line should be very hot to the touch.

No, with the exception of the service call two weeks ago who added
freon to top
the system off, we haven't added anything for about 8 years.
CY: That's good news.

Large is cold, small is hot. It seems that the top of the
compressor
is hot to the touch.... I ordered a thermometer so to get some
accurate temperature reading. The laser ones looked tempting but I
settled for a less expensive one.
CY: Normal for the compressor to be hot. Harbor Freight has infared
thermometers cheap enough. I got a couple of them that are keyring
size, for six bucks each. No laser aimer.

Make sure that the
filter is clean to allow sufficient air to move across the coil.
There should be an access door of some type at the A-coil that
would let you inspect the cleanliness of the coils.

Evap coils and inside of unit have been cleaned.... fins are in good
shape. I used the coil cleaning spray which penetrates the fins and
used a hose to rinse out the residue.
CY: Way to go.

Residential split systems are meant to be 15 year systems. There
are many that go longer, but increased SEER ratings and motor
efficiencies would indicate to consider replacement.

System has run trouble free up till now.... which makes it difficult
determine whether it's repairable and will last for another 5 or so
years, If it was a problem child the decision would be easier. But
so far it's been solid as a rock, until now when it blew a breaker.
CY: Probably dirty coils.

(btw, I'm working on this for a friend who has no idea about
maintenance.
The coils have never been cleaned and no one ever told her about
replacing the filter either. She had a service contract for years
but
stopped it recently.... I guess they never replaced the filter either.
CY: With that kind of service contract, sh eprobably needs her coils
cleaned, also.