Posted to alt.home.repair
BobK207 BobK207 is offline

Default Garden Hose End Re-thread Die

NSN wrote:
On Sun, 27 Aug 2006 22:05:48 -0500, Richard J Kinch
wrote:

NSN writes:

I am sure that it is there under the proper size & pitch but I do not
know what that might be.

Garden hose threads are ANSI/ASME standard B1.20.7.

The designation is:

.75-11.5NH (cut, formed, or rolled), or
.75-11.5NHR (thin wall formed).

See _Machinery's Handbook_ 26th edition, pp 1841-2.

I can't seem to find any sources for taps or dies, either.

THANKS to all for your replies. I did locate a die at
www.tapcousa.com by using their 800 number and giving them the above
specs. They have two in stock which I left there since they wanted
$136.00 plus shipping to be relieved of one of them.

As someone mentioned, I can replace all my hoses for that amount.

I do have a standard pipe re-threading set and used its file with the
#12 grooves and it worked quite well but left a rough finish. I
smoothed it out a bit with the wire brush I use on my BBQ and it ended
up looking good. The problem I had before all this was that it would
not screw into my plastic quick-disconnects without serious binding.
All is well now helped a bit by silicone grease.

For those interested I did find an external threader (11.5) in the Mc
Master catalog but it was $89.00. A bit better than $136 but still a
bit expensive.

Again .. thanks to all.

Norm

Norm-

Pretty cool / useful tool at McMaster

Replaceable Die External Thread Restorer 2630A12
Tool comes with dies for thread sizes 4, 5, 6, 7, 7 1/2, 8, 9, 10, 11,
11 1/2, 12, 14, 16, 18, 20, and 24 threads per inch.
OD range is 1 1/4" to 5".

but even a tool junkie such as I wouldn't buy one but I could see the
need for such a tool where LOTS of hose were in use. One could chase /
clean up the ends faster & cheaper than replacing

cheers
Bob