Posted to alt.home.repair
jeffreydesign jeffreydesign is offline

Default Small engine...starts with starter fluid, but won't keep running

Ditto on what the other gentlemen said... your carberator is plugged
up. You might look for a carb kit online for your engine... they come
with all the gaskets you will need when you pull the carb off and clean
it properly.

Stabilizer won't stop fuel from drying out in the carb and leaving
behind gum/varnish which plugs up the jets. Sometimes some good carb
cleaner and an air compressor with a needle blower should do it for
you.

Steve Henderson wrote:
It's in good condition, and ran fine last time I tried, but it's on a
Ex-cell VR2400 Pressure washer, and hasn't been started for two seasons.
Now that I need it, can't keep it running. Won't even "hit" without
starter fluid. Any thoughts about what to do about this problem? It's a
6.0 HP engine. Not worn - I'd be surprised if it has more than 20
life-time hours on the machine. AND, I did put it to bed two years ago
with stablizer - but haven't looked at it since.

I know, It's my fault for not running it last season, but what can I do
about it now?

As long as I give it a spurt of starter fluid every 5 to 10 seconds, it
runs, but won't run on the (fresh) gasoline we put in it at all.